Rutherfordton is home to the only remaining cluster of antebellum houses and public structures in the southern foothills of North Carolina. St. John’s Church, located on North Main Street, was completed in 1849 and consecrated in 1851. It is considered to be the finest example of ecclesiastical Greek-Revival architecture in western North Carolina. Also on Main Street is the stately Greek-Revival mansion known as “Holly Hill,” constructed about 1832 for the James Miller Family.
Other beautiful examples include the 1830’s Bechtler House (now the Bechtler Museum), the Gothic-Revival Rucker-Eaves home (1858-1870), the Carrier Houses (1835) and a private residence, historically known as the Bynum House, on the southwest corner of 6th Street and North Washington Street.
For more information click here